The Power of One Dream
Teachers make a difference in everyone's lives. You can be that inspiration and touch future lives.
We believe that real experience in the classroom prior to student teaching prepares you to be an effective teacher. Step into the classroom the second semester of your freshman year, where you will hone your skills to touch the lives of Pre K-grade 4 students of all learning levels.
As part of our award-winning SPSEA education club, you will benefit from professional development, activities with Pre K-12 students, and valuable networking opportunities.
Examine educational practices throughout the United States in our Study Away Spring Break program - or take your impact as an educator even further by student teaching in New Zealand or Bolivia. As an educator, you have the power to change the world, one student at a time.
- Career Options
- Course Descriptions
- Course Sequence Maps
- General Degree Requirements
- Printable Distribution of Credits Checklist
Graduate School Guarantee —
Master of Education (M.Ed.) or the Master of Teaching (MAT) Programs
University of Pittsburgh School of Education
MORE INFORMATION ON PITT-GREENSBURG GRADUATE SCHOOL GUARANTEES
- Indicate Pre-Education on admissions application.
- Earn a 3.5 grade point average in high school and a minimum 1250 SAT (combined Critical Reading and Math) or 28 ACT.
- Maintain a 3.0 grade point average as a full-time undergraduate student at a regional campus (individual instances where a student's grade point average falls below 3.0 will be reviewed by the Dean of the School of Education).
- Attend a School of Education Information Session.
- Declare the specific teacher education program by the end of junior year.
- Complete all prerequisite courses for the teacher education specialty area.
- Candidates in foreign language must also attain a rating of at least Advanced Low on the OPI examination administered by ACTFL.
- Show evidence of substantial experience working or volunteering with children or adolescents as a teacher, tutor, camp counselor, etc.
- For information about the Graduate School of Education, go to www.education.pitt.edu/programs/graduate.aspx