Bachelor of Science
Stand apart from other Teaching Education graduates.
The Early Childhood Education program at Pitt-Greensburg is different than other four-year teacher certification programs. Firstly, you will be placed in a practical field experience by the second semester of your freshman year – and every semester thereafter. This means that when you graduate, you will have amassed at least 190 hours in the field before student teaching. Administrators really like to see that you have that much experience working with students.
Secondly, we have a very strong Student PSEA, our education club. With over 100 members, we offer a variety of professional development workshops and experiences; last year, 30 of our members attended the statewide conference where they gained additional experience and professional development.
Lastly, with small classes, the professors at Pitt-Greensburg get to know the students. Most courses in our Early Childhood department have only 10-15 students. The instructors are able to get to know their students well and are able to meet with each of them individually to help them reach their individual goals.
Graduate School Guarantee —
Master of Education (M.Ed.) or the Master of Teaching (MAT) Programs
University of Pittsburgh School of Education
MORE INFORMATION ON PITT-GREENSBURG GRADUATE SCHOOL GUARANTEES
- Indicate Pre-Education on admissions application.
- Earn a 3.5 grade point average in high school and a minimum 1250 SAT (combined Critical Reading and Math) or 28 ACT.
- Maintain a 3.25 grade point average as a full-time undergraduate student at a regional campus (individual instances where a student's grade point average falls below 3.25 will be reviewed by the Dean of the School of Education).
- Adttend a School of Education Information Session.
- Declare the specific teacher education program by the end of junior year.
- Complete all prerequisite courses for the teachere education specialty area.
- Candidates in foreign language must also attain a rating of at least Advanced Low on the OPI examination administered by ACTFL.
- Show evidence of substantial experience working or volunteering with children or adolescents as a teacher, tutor, camp counselor, etc.
- For information about the Graduate School of Education, go to www.education.pitt.edu/programs/graduate.aspx