The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg Department of Athletics
Vision: A tradition of teamwork and excellence providing lifelong educational opportunities.
Mission: As an integral part of the Division of Student Affairs, the intercollegiate athletic program supports the academic mission of the University through promoting classroom learning and assisting faculty determination to enhance scholarship and lifelong learning. The goal of these efforts is to improve the quality of student life, enhance the image of the University in the community; attract, educate, and promote a diverse student body; and facilitate the intellectual, emotional, physical, and moral development of each individual student. The program emphasizes group as well as individual growth by encouraging character development, leadership, teamwork and good sportsmanship.
Purposes (goals): In particular, the purposes of the Department of Athletics are:
- To provide our students recreational opportunities to improve the quality of their life.
- To provide our students competitive experiences whereby methods of preparation and discipline are taught that enhances successful outcomes.
- To provide our students quality in instruction, medical care, facilities and scheduling in order to achieve all that each participant can become.
- To provide an environment whereby teamwork and leadership can be studied, practiced, and learned that will enhance our students' appeal in their chosen professions.
- To provide leadership for enhancing moral and ethical conduct, stressing the principles of accountability, responsibility, integrity, competence, and concern for others.
- We work as a team with professionalism, respect, support, loyalty, courtesy, and trust. We share rather than compete for resources.
- Through open and honest communication, consensus is the preferred way we make decisions.
- We treat all persons with dignity and respect while providing a model of fair play, sportsmanship, and leadership.
- We seek to improve the department by encouraging innovation, and through professional growth and program development.
The staff members associated with the Department of Athletics at The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg place our students first in their growth and development. We use sport as a means to teach lifelong skills and experiences in addition to content learned in the classroom.
Division III Athletics
It's not about getting a scholarship, getting drafted, or making SportsCenter. It's a deep need in us that comes from the heart. We need to practice, to play, to lift, to hustle, to sweat. We do it all for our teammates and for the student in our calculus class that we don't even know.
We don't practice with a future major league first baseman; we practice with a future sports agent. We don't lift weights with a future Olympic wrestler; we lift with a future doctor. We don't run with a future Wimbledon champion; we run with a future CEO.
It's a bigger part of us than our friends and family can understand. Sometimes we play for 2,000 fans; sometimes 25. But we still play hard. You cheer for us because you know us. You know more than just our names. Like all of you, we are students first. We don't sign autographs. But we do sign graduate school applications, MCAT exams, and student body petitions.
When we miss a kick or strike out, we don't let down an entire state. We only let down our teammates, coaches, and fans. But the hurt is still the same. We train hard, lift, throw, run, kick, tackle, shoot, dribble, and lift some more, and in the morning we go to class. And in that class we are nothing more than students.
It's about pride--in ourselves, in our school. It's about our love and passion for the game. And when it's over, when we walk off that court or field for the last time, our hearts crumble. Those tears are real. But deep down inside, we are very proud of ourselves. We will forever be what few can claim... college athletes.