Welcome to the Federal Work-Study Orientation
Congratulations! You have been hired under the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program. Federal Work-Study is financial aid received in the form of hourly wages from a job. The FWS program is a training ground where you can gain valuable work experience while earning financial assistance for your school-related expenses.
This job is a serious obligation and your performance, attitude and conduct should reflect this committment. You may be the first contact that a person has with Pitt-Greensburg and the manner in which the person is received leaves a lasting impression. Represent your office well.
This new FWS student orientation is required and must be completed prior to your first day of employment. There are three (3) steps of the orientation, so please be sure to complete each step.
The first step in your orientation is printing and completing the required payroll documents. You will bring completed payroll forms and required documents (original social security card, photo ID and a voided check) to the Greensburg Office of Human Resources.
You are not permitted to begin working until all paperwork has been completed, and confirmation that the online orientation has been received in the Office of Human Resources, and your supervisor has been notified that you are eligible to begin working.
The following are the payroll forms you are required to print, complete and bring to the Office of Human Resources on or before your first day of work:
1. Onboarding Checklist
2. Residency Certification Form
3. Local Services Tax and Exemption Certificate
4. Form W-4
5. Post Offer Data Sheet
6. Voluntary Self Identification of Disability
7. Authorization Agreement for Direct Deposit
8. Student Employment Handbook Acknowledgement
Step two of the orientation is completing the Electronic I-9 Employment Eligibity Verififcation Form (see your email from HR to obtain the Employer Code). Prior to your first day of work, you will need to complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 by using the electronic I-9 service. Click on the I-9 link here: www.newi9.com to access the on-line I-9 form. This confidential and secure service allows you to quickly and conveniently complete Section 1 of your Form I-9 online. We recommend that you print the “Thank You” page to remind yourself to bring your required I-9 documents to the Greensburg Human Resources Office prior to the start of your employment.
On or before your first day of work, you must bring to the Greensburg Office of Human Resources (103 Lynch Hall) the identification documents listed in the I-9 confirmation section of the online I-9 form. Section 2 of the I-9 form will be completed in the Human Resources Office by an authorized University representative. If you have any issues completing your Form I-9 online prior to your first day of work, please contact the Human Resources Office at 724-836-9893.
In step three of the orientation, we ask that you watch a few short videos below. We want to introduce a few points important to work study positions on campus - Attendance, Attire, and Professionalism. Although you will learn more about these today, please discuss specific department guidelines and policies with your supervisor. Think about what you would do in the work study's situation. Following the videos, you are required to complete a short quiz.
- Arrive for work on time.
- Each office or department may have their own attendance and call-off policy. Check with your supervisor for the department policy.
- Your presence is important to assist University departments to run effectively.
- All students are required to complete weekly timecards in Prism Trks. The Prism Trks Quick Guide can be found here.
Please watch the following videos about Attendance.
- Dress appropriately for a University office or department.
- Shorts and skirts should be appropriate length.
- Shirts should be appropriate height.
- Pants or jeans should not be torn or ripped.
- Students should wear appropriate footwear. Flip-flops are not permitted.
- If you have any questions about what should be worn for your particular work-study position, please see the Student Employment Manual and ask your supervisor.
- Be responsible for your work and your behavior.
- Do not use your cell phone or use the computer for entertainment, including Facebook, at work.
- Be polite and respectful when talking on the phone or to guests. Ask your supervisor if there is a specific script you should be using when answering the phone. You never know who may be calling!
Please watch the following videos on Phone Etiquette.
Following Work Guidelines:
- Be considerate of others while they are working and maintain a professional atmosphere.
- Maintain confidentiality. You are a trusted member of the office.
- Complete your work on time. If for some reason your work will not be completed on time, it is your duty to let your supervisor know.
- Assist your supervisor in any needed tasks.
- Be willing to learn new activities while at work. For instance, you may learn to use a new computer program.
Please watch the following videos on Following Work Guidelines.
Please remember, work-study positions are a great thing to list on your resume and your supervisors may be potential references! Take pride in your position and in your work!
Work Study Orientation Quiz
Now that you've had time to review and think about the material in the videos, please take this short Work Study Quiz.
Special thanks to the Athletics/Communication Interns, Bruce Contino, and Pat Ross for their assistance in developing the orientation videos.
If you have questions about your Federal Work Study employment, please contact your supervisor, the Greensburg Human Resources Office, the Greensburg Financial Aid Office or refer to the information in the Student Employment Manual.