The Registrar’s Office is responsible for assisting veterans, reservists, guardsmen, and their families in obtaining their military educational benefits. We can assist you in applying for the benefit, certifying enrollment, and reporting any changes in enrollment to the VA. We serve as a liaison between the service member and the VA Regional Processing Office. For the seventh consecutive year, the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg has been designated a “Military Friendly School.”
Application Fee Waived
The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg will waive the application fee for veterans.
Military Call Up
If you are called up to active duty, you will need to provide a copy of your deployment order to the Office of the Registrar. We will arrange to drop your registration so you will owe no tuition for the term. In rare cases, there will be exceptions to this, depending on personal and/or financial reasons. Depending on the time of deployment, students may also opt to remain enrolled in their courses and request “G” grades for the class with the understanding that the coursework will be completed upon return from active duty.
Veteran Student Course Scheduling Policy
The Higher Education Course Scheduling Preference for Veteran Students Act (Act of May 14, 2014, P.L. 667, No. 46 (known as “Act 46”)) provides for Veteran students to receive course scheduling preference at public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania.
Veteran student – An individual who (1) is a Veteran (as defined below) or is an active duty service member, (2) has been admitted to the University of Pittsburgh, and (3) resides in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania while enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh.
Veteran – An individual who (1) has served in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component of the National Guard, and (2) was discharged or released from such service under conditions other than dishonorable.
Veterans who completed their obligated service in the Reserves and National Guard but were not deployed to active duty are included in this definition of Veteran. Veteran students may or may not be using veterans educational benefits at the institution. Act 46 applies to Veteran Students admitted to all for-credit courses and programs offered at the institution.
Course Scheduling Preference:
The priority enrollment period will begin the Friday before the published Monday enrollment period. Enrollment appointments for Veteran students will begin at 8:30am the Friday before the standard Monday enrollment appointments, and will be assigned in order, according to credits completed. Veteran students who have completed the highest number of credits will get the earliest enrollment appointments, while those who have completed the lowest number of credits will get the latest enrollment appointments. Enrollment appointment dates and times can be found in each student’s PeopleSoft Student Center.
If you have any questions or wish to update your Veteran status at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, please contact the Registrar’s Office, 120 Millstein Library, Greensburg, PA 15601 – Telephone 724-836-9899.
Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. Non-compliance may be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by submitting the Higher Education Student Complaint form found at www.education.state.pa.us.
Veteran Eligibility for In-State Tuition
In accordance with Section 702 of the Choice Act and PA state Act 11, the University of Pittsburgh offers in-state residency for the purposes of tuition to the following eligible individuals:
For purposes of the Act, a “Veteran” is any individual who served in the in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component or National Guard, and who was discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable and is eligible to receive benefits under any of the following:
• Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve
• Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program
• Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty
• Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
• Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®
• Spouses and dependent children of these Veterans and any who are eligible to receive Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependent’s Educational Assistance, are also eligible.
If you meet any of above-listed requirements, please provide a copy of the Service member’s DD214 and your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to the Registrar’s Office, 120 Millstein Library.
Additional eligible groups include:
• Military personnel who are assigned to an active duty station in Pennsylvania and who reside in Pennsylvania, and their spouses and dependent children. If you meet this requirement, please provide a copy of the active duty member’s orders and a copy of the first page of the most recent IRS Form 1040/1040A displaying the name of the spouse or dependent child, if applicable.
• Civilian personnel employed at a US Department of Defense facility who are transferred to Pennsylvania by the US Department of Defense and who reside in Pennsylvania, and their spouses and dependent children. If you meet this requirement, please provide a letter from the US Department of Defense that documents the transfer to the Pennsylvania specifying the name of the person employed, the applicable US Department of Defense facility in Pennsylvania, and the start date, along with a copy of the first page of the most recent IRS Form 1040/1040A displaying the name of the spouse or dependent child, if applicable.
If you do not meet the requirements above but feel you qualify for Pennsylvania tuition rates for other reasons, there is an appeal process. Detailed Tuition Eligibility Guidelines, instructions for appealing, and the appeal forms
"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/