University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
The University of Pittsburgh is a community of students, staff, faculty, administrators and partners. As an institution of higher education, the health and safety of our community is vital to our mission. The COVID-19 pandemic has altered all of our lives. College campuses are typically more densely populated and more diverse than other communities, and because of that, we must take additional precautions. While the circumstances that result from the pandemic may change over time, we must remain diligent in our efforts to keep our community safe and healthy. To help foster this environment for all, we present the following principles—drafted by Pitt undergraduate, graduate and professional students—to uphold the health and safety of our community.
Because my actions affect not only my own health and well-being but also the health and well-being of all those around me:
- I will wear a mask or face covering over my mouth and nose when in public spaces such as University buildings, classrooms, workspaces, residence halls and dining areas (except while eating), as required by Pitt.
- If I am feeling unwell or if I have been exposed to someone who is ill or who has tested positive for COVID-19, I will stay in my residence, seek appropriate medical attention, contact the Health Center (students) or MyHealth @Work (faculty/staff) and cooperate with medical guidance and contact tracing efforts.
- I will practice proper personal hygiene, such as washing my hands frequently and covering my mouth and nose while sneezing or coughing, in all settings.
- I will practice the recommended physical distancing in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Pitt guidelines.
- I will follow guidelines for in-person gatherings, including parties and large social gatherings.
- I will refrain from unnecessary travel during the term in order to prevent the possible transmission of COVID-19 to a new area or bringing it back to the campus and community upon my return.
Because the COVID-19 pandemic remains an ever-evolving public health crisis that impacts each individual and community differently:
- I acknowledge that my adherence to personal safety measures directly impacts the health and safety of the community.
- I acknowledge that, while I may be asymptomatic or healthy, there are others who are at risk, and my behavior on and off campus directly impacts their health and safety.
- I acknowledge that our campus is home to many beyond the University community, and those families and communities are impacted by my actions and decisions.
Because this is a challenging time for us all, I will work to hold both myself and others accountable for keeping our community safe by:
- remaining informed about COVID-19 and the safety measures needed as guidelines change;
- refraining from stigmatizing any race, ethnic group or nationality group as the cause of the pandemic;
- upholding the policies that the University puts in place as well as all guidance from government and public health authorities;
- practicing these safety measures beyond the campus setting, such as during off-campus activities and when in social spaces and local businesses;
- encouraging my peers to also uphold these standards;
- respecting my peers who choose to take additional measures to ensure their personal safety; and
- serving as an active bystander by stepping in and speaking up when appropriate to make our campus a healthier, safer place for everyone.
We acknowledge how unprecedented and challenging this situation is for us all. It is important to have patience for yourself and for others as we navigate our new normal. Amidst these challenging times, please know that you are supported by your loved ones, your peers and the University community. No matter your affiliation, we are all members of the same community. We are all in this together, and we will get through this together.
If you have any specific questions regarding the items presented in this document, please contact email@example.com.
While the fall term is uncertain and is likely to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please review the following resources to help support you in fulfilling the Pitt Community Compact:
For information on what Pitt is doing: Pitt COVID-19 Updates and Resources
For information on recommended guidelines: CDC Guidelines
For data and latest news: Pennsylvania Department of Health Resources
For information if you must travel: CDC Tips to Travel More Safely
For more information on Pitt Student Code of Conduct standards: Student Handbook