Impact the Field of Education
Majoring in Teacher Education at Pitt-Greensburg offers future teachers the opportunity to stand apart from other Teacher Education graduates. We offer additional certifications and minor studies to strengthen your knowledge and skills and afford you the experiences in the classrooms to make you a confident, prepared teacher. Our SPSEA supports each teacher candidate with professional development, networking opportunities, and experiences with students in order to make you a well-prepared teacher. We not only want you to be a highly qualified teacher, we want you to be a child advocate and impact the field of education.
The Education Department at Pitt-Greensburg offers
- Partnerships with local schools, providing real, experiential learning beginning your freshman year
- Innovative classes bridge theory and practice
- Inquiry-based learning
- Personalized attention from professors at a world renowned university
- Strong emphasis on science and math
- Pitt degree and teaching certificate in four years
Students who graduate from our program will earn their Pennsylvania Teaching certification. This certification is well-respected throughout the United States and is reciprocal in many states. Currently, Pitt-Greensburg Education alum are teaching in Pennsylvania (including Greensburg Salem Schools, Ligioner, Washington, and others) Maryland, Virginia, and Arizona. Highly qualified teachers are in demand around Pennsylvania and around the country.
Graduate School Guarantee — Master of Education (M.Ed.) or
the Master of Teaching (MAT) Programs
University of Pittsburgh School of Education
MORE INFORMATION ON PITT-GREENSBURG GRADUATE SCHOOL GUARANTEES
- Indicate Pre-Education on admissions application.
- Earn a 3.5 grade point average in high school and a minimum 1250 SAT (combined Critical Reading and Math) or 28 ACT.
- Maintain a 3.25 grade point average as a full-time undergraduate student at a regional campus (individual instances where a student's grade point average falls below 3.25 will be reviewed by the Dean of the School of Education).
- Attend a School of Education Information Session.
- Declare the specific teacher education program by the end of junior year.
- Complete all prerequisite courses for the teachere education specialty area.
- Candidates in foreign language must also attain a rating of at least Advanced Low on the OPI examination administered by ACTFL.
- Show evidence of substantial experience working or volunteering with children or adolescents as a teacher, tutor, camp counselor, etc.
- View information about the Graduate School of Education.