When is Move-In Day?
To promote physical and social distancing, this year’s move-in plan involves assigning all students a specific day and time to arrive on campus. New students will move in on Saturday, August 15 and Sunday, August 16. (New students will participate in Welcome Week events on August 17 and 18.)
Returning and transfer students will move in on Monday, August 17 and Tuesday, August 18. During the week of July 13, we will be communicating directly with all students to issue an assigned day and time for their move-in.
What does the check-in process look like?
All students will report to the Smith Hall parking lot area where we will have a drive-thru, express check-in tent set up. Students will receive their keys and other materials without exiting their vehicles. New students will also receive their student IDs at this time. After checking in, students will report directly to their residence hall to move into their respective rooms.
What safety precautions will be in place?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are assigning students a specific day and time to move in. This will allow us to ensure that a limited number of students and family members are present in the residence halls at any given point in time. It will also allow us to ensure that only one student per room/apartment will be moving in at a time.
Additionally, we are asking all students and their guests to respect the following guidelines during the move-in process:
- Each student should bring no more than 2 guests/family members with them to assist with move-in.
- Students & guests must wear masks or face coverings when outside of the student’s assigned room/apartment.
- Everyone should practice physical & social distancing by maintaining a recommended 6-feet of physical space between themselves and others.
- Students should consider bringing their own cart or hand-truck to help move their items in.
- Wash and sanitize your hands often. There will be sanitizing stations throughout our residence halls, and every residence hall room has a sink that can be used for hand-washing.
What about early move-ins?
Those students who are approved for early arrival must be sponsored by an official University department or athletics team. Sponsors will submit the requests directly to the Office of Housing & Residence Life. Early arrivals will then receive specific instructions on when and how to check in during the early arrival process. Students moving in early will need to coordinate meals with their university sponsors. Housing & Residence Life does not coordinate meal needs for those arriving prior to their official move-in dates.
What other tips do you have?
We have a few additional pieces of advice to help make your Move-in Day go as smoothly as possible:
- Don’t overpack but be sure to pack all the essential stuff. Review our Things to Bring list to make sure you don't forget anything.
- Communicate with your roommate(s) and/or suitemates ahead of time to determine what each person is bringing.
- Prepare for the weather. It’s not uncommon for Move-in Day to be very hot and humid in mid-August. Dress appropriately and stay hydrated.
- Contact the Housing Office with any questions or concerns but do so well in advance.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via phone at 724-836-7869.