As a military member or veteran, you and your family may be eligible for educational benefits under one of the following chapters:
- Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill® - Chapter 1606
- Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty - Chapter 30
- Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) - Chapter 31
- Survivors and Dependent Assistant - Chapter 35
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
Military & Veteran Services, located in the Office of the Registrar, can help you navigate your military education benefit, including applying for benefits, providing information, and serving as a liaison between you and the VA Regional Processing Office. Our dedicated administrators are here for you!
The School Certifying Official (SCO), 126 Millstein Library, is responsible for enrollment certification and reporting changes of enrollment to the VA.
SCO Contact Information – UPGVeterans@pitt.edu | 724-836-7188 (ph) | 724-836-7176 (fax)
Watch an overview video of the Post 911 GI Bill® from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The regional processing office for the state of Pennsylvania is located in Buffalo, New York.
VA Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, N.Y. 14240-4616
Apply for your GI Bill® benefits on VA |Vets.gov
For ease of completing the application, have the following information available:
- Personal information, including Social Security number
- Bank Routing number | Bank Account number
- Physical Address: University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 150 Finoli Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601
- Dates of Service
- If you have your DD214 Member 4, you can upload it as part of your application
All applicants must submit copies of the appropriate documents listed below:
- Active Duty, Veterans, or Reserves/National Guard
DD214, Member 4 – Release or Discharge from Active Duty
VA Certificate of Eligibility – CH. 30 and 33 – Post 9/11
NOBE – Notice of Basic Eligibility (Reserve/National Guard only)
KICKER agreement (if applicable)
- Dependents Educational Assistance Program
VA Certificate of Eligibility
VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits - CH. 33, 35, & Title 38) if it has been submitted and approved by the VA
Is this your First Term using benefits?
Please complete the Student Veteran Initial Enrollment Certification form. (This form collects additional information needed by the School Certifying Official (SCO) to set up your initial account in VA ONCE)
For each subsequent term, a Continued Enrollment Certification Request form must be completed in order for your GI Bill® education benefits to be processed. It is important to complete these forms in a timely manner to ensure your benefits are not delayed.
All schedule changes must be reported to the SCO, including change in credits, course withdrawal, term withdrawal, incomplete grades, and change of major and address. For your convenience, you we have a new Student Veteran Change of Enrollment form that can be completed and submitted online.
Veteran’s tuition assistance programs can make the cost for many Pitt veteran students more affordable. Eligible individuals can also receive in-state residency for tuition purposes and in-state tuition for veterans and dependents (per Section 702 of the Choice Act and PA state Act 11). The various Armed Forces Tuition Assistance Programs include:
- Army Tuition Assistance Program
- Navy Tuition Assistance Program
- Air Force Tuition Assistance Program
- Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Program
- Coast Guard Tuition Assistance Program
- National Guard Tuition Assistance Program
Typically, you will have to work through your military education advisor to apply for tuition assistance benefits.
- Military Specific Scholarships & Grants (Veteran & Dependents)
- Summer Full-Time Rates: Credit and Monthly Housing Allowance Questions (for official credit requirements, contact the VA at 1-800-442-4551)
- W.A.V.E. for monthly verification (MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30), MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), or Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, Chapter 1607)
- Chapter 36 Education and Career Counseling