GI Bill® Benefits

As a military member or veteran, you and your family may be eligible for educational benefits under one of the following chapters:

  • Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill® - Chapter 1606
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty - Chapter 30
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33
  • Veteran Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) - Chapter 31
  • Survivors and Dependent Assistant - Chapter 35
  • Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Military & Veteran Services, located in the Office of the Registrar, can help you navigate your military education benefit, including applying for benefits, providing information, and serving as a liaison between you and the VA Regional Processing Office. Our dedicated administrators are here for you!

The School Certifying Official (SCO), 126 Millstein Library, is responsible for enrollment certification and reporting changes of enrollment to the VA.

SCO Contact Information – | 724-836-7188 (ph) | 724-836-7176 (fax)

Watch an overview video of the Post 911 GI Bill® from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The regional processing office for the state of Pennsylvania is located in Buffalo, New York.

VA Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, N.Y. 14240-4616


Apply for your GI Bill® benefits on VA |

For ease of completing the application, have the following information available:

  • Personal information, including Social Security number
  • Bank Routing number | Bank Account number
  • Physical Address: University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 150 Finoli Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601
  • Dates of Service
  • If you have your DD214 Member 4, you can upload it as part of your application

Required Documentation

All applicants must submit copies of the appropriate documents listed below:

  • Active Duty, Veterans, or Reserves/National Guard
    DD214, Member 4 – Release or Discharge from Active Duty
    VA Certificate of Eligibility – CH. 30 and 33 – Post 9/11
    NOBE – Notice of Basic Eligibility (Reserve/National Guard only)
    KICKER agreement (if applicable)
  • Dependents Educational Assistance Program
    VA Certificate of Eligibility
    VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits - CH. 33, 35, & Title 38) if it has been submitted and approved by the VA


Is this your First Term using benefits?

Please complete the Student Veteran Initial Enrollment Certification form.  (This form collects additional information needed by the School Certifying Official (SCO) to set up your initial account in VA ONCE)

Continued Enrollment:

For each subsequent term, a Continued Enrollment Certification Request form must be completed in order for your GI Bill® education benefits to be processed.  It is important to complete these forms in a timely manner to ensure your benefits are not delayed.

Enrollment Changes:

All schedule changes must be reported to the SCO, including change in credits, course withdrawal, term withdrawal, incomplete grades, and change of major and address. For your convenience, we have a new Student Veteran Change of Enrollment form that can be completed and submitted online.

Tuition Assistance

Veteran’s tuition assistance programs can make the cost for many Pitt veteran students more affordable. Eligible individuals can also receive in-state residency for tuition purposes and in-state tuition for veterans and dependents (per Section 702 of the Choice Act and PA state Act 11). The various Armed Forces Tuition Assistance Programs include:

Typically, you will have to work through your military education advisor to apply for tuition assistance benefits.

Other Resources