- Increase student satisfaction, increase student retention and improve academic performance utilizing seminar courses, science learning communities, academic orientation, academic advising, graduate exam preparatory courses and tutors to remove academic barriers.
- Allow SLICE Scholars to develop highly valued relationships on campus through faculty and peer mentoring, career development, and a variety of extended learning opportunities.
- Expand SLICE Scholar’s scientific literacy, increase students understanding and ability to communicate understanding, and increase self-efficacy of Scholars through attendance and participation in a monthly journal club.
- Develop SLICE Scholar’s ability to cultivate research project ideas, analyze and interpret results, and effectively communicate research findings while undergraduates through job shadowing, internships and Senior Capstone Research Experience.
- Increase SLICE Scholar’s abilities of time management, decision-making, strategic planning, and problem-solving skills through leadership opportunities as peer mentors of underclassmen, teaching assistants, and tutors.
- To deliver the most appropriate services and interventions to benefit SLICE Scholars the project team will implement assessment and evaluation plans that effectively guide the project team and allow for the broader dissemination of the SLICE Scholarship Program.
For additional information about the SLICE Program or to start a SLICE program at your institution, please email UPGSLICE@pitt.edu.
Support for the SLICE Scholarship program is being provided by the National Science Foundation Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S-STEM) program under Award No. 2130102. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.