COVID-19 response: While the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg remains closed to the public, the campus is in operation for the 2020-2021 academic year. Learn how Pitt-Greensburg is building a healthy and resilient community. Campus Operational Posture:
Guarded Risk

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?

Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web at The federal government will share this information with the state agency and your school to determine eligibility for federal grants, federal loans, state grants, University aid, and some alternative private student loans.

What is Verification?

The federal government's Central Processing Unit selects 30% of all FAFSA filers for verification. If selected, the student will receive a Verification Form in the mail from Pitt-Greensburg. The student and parent must complete this form and supply copies of the student's and parents' federal 1040 and W-2s to Pitt-Greensburg. The school uses the tax information to verify the FAFSA data. The student will receive a new Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor that shows any changes resulting from the verification review. A postcard will be sent to the student when the verification process has been completed successfully.

"Expected Family Contribution" is NOT the amount of money that you will pay.

The information that you report on the FAFSA is used to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The formula used to determine your EFC is established by law and is used to measure your family’s financial strength based on many factors: family income, assets, parent’s age, and number of children in the household. Your EFC is only a number in the equation used to determine your financial need. The EFC has no correlation to actual tuition, so this is NOT the amount of money the family is expected to pay.

How are Budget, Expected Family Contribution, and Financial Need determined?

Your financial aid eligibility is based on your Financial Need. Financial Need is calculated by subtracting your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from your Cost of Attendance (COA) or Budget.

Cost of Attendance (Budget)
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
= Financial Need

Your school determines the Cost of Attendance, which includes all costs associated with attending Pitt-Greensburg: tuition, books, supplies, housing, transportation, fees, and personal expenses. An average budget is used for groups of similar students; for example, all in-state, full-time students who live in University housing have the same budget.

Your Financial Need is the difference between your Cost of Attendance and your Expected Family Contribution. The amount of financial aid that you qualify for may not cover your Financial Need.

Your school calculates your cost of attendance and subtracts your EFC. If there is any remaining balance, you are considered to have Financial Need. The University helps to meet this need through a variety of financial resources: grants, scholarships, loans, and student employment. Pitt-Greensburg does NOT guarantee that a student's need will be met. You may choose to apply for a Federal Parent PLUS Loan or Private Alternative Loan to help with your actual contribution. In keeping with federal regulation, a student may not borrow over the Cost of Attendance minus all other aid.

Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web at The federal government will share this information with the state agency and your school to determine eligibility for federal grants, federal loans, state grants, University aid, and some alternative private student loans.

Is there a maximum amount of aid that I can receive?

You are required to report all aid that you receive to the Office of Financial Aid. This includes all private scholarships, grants, veterans' benefits, and tuition remission. Your total aid cannot exceed your Cost of Attendance. If this occurs, the Office of Financial Aid is obligated to reduce or cancel awards made to you from the federal, state, or institutional funds.

The determination of your eligibility for financial aid is based on the FAFSA and general information provided by you; e.g. enrollment, housing status, state residency. If any of these factors change, it could affect your financial aid by increasing, reducing, or canceling the amount. A review would take place at the time the Office of Financial Aid becomes aware of the change.

How do I accept or decline financial aid?

To comply with federal regulation, the student must sign and return the enclosed yellow Student Financial Aid Acceptance letter to accept campus-based aid: Federal SEOG, Federal Perkins, and Federal Work-Study. All campus-based aid NOT accepted by July 1 will be cancelled.

To cancel the Direct Stafford Loan, students must return the Financial Aid Acceptance letter to the Office of Financial Aid. If the Perkins MPN is NOT completed by the end of the fall Add-Drop Period, the Office of Financial Aid will assume the student does NOT want the funds and will cancel the loan. Cancelled loans will only be reinstated if loan funds are still available.

When is my bill due?

The Office of Student Accounts maintains the student's charges. Paper bills will NOT be sent through the mail. Each term is billed separately after the student registers. Students registered by July 12, the first fall invoice will be available in mid-July. Students registered by November 12, the first spring invoice will be available in mid-November. Payments are due the 17th of each month.

Follow these steps to view your bill online:

  1. Log on to
  2. Search for "Student Services"
  3. Select "PittPAY"
  4. Select "View Accounts"
  5. Click on "Most Recent eBill"

Students may submit payment by mail to the address provided on the invoice or in-person at the Office of Student Accounts in Millstein Library; check or cash is accepted. Payments by eCheck can be paid online or by telephone at no charge to the student.

The University cannot directly accept credit cards. Pitt has arranged for a third-party vendor to accept American Express, Discover Card, or Master Card when a payment is made online through PittPAY. You will be charged an additional fee of 2.75% of your balance by the vendor for this service. This credit card fee is in addition to tuition, University fees, room and board payments. PittPAY can be accessed at Contact the Office of Student Accounts with questions at (724) 836-9908.

You may choose to participate in the Payment Plan if you do not have an existing financial hold.  Please contact the Office of Student Accounts for more information about billing procedures.

How does my financial aid affect my bill?

YOU MUST ACT ON YOUR STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT BY THE DUE DATE. It is a federal regulation that federal aid cannot be applied to your account until 10 days before the term begins. If your paperwork is complete and your aid is approved, it will appear as "Anticipated" on your statement. You are responsible for paying the remaining balance in order to avoid incurring a $50.00 monthly late fee.

If you are using a loan to pay your balance, please allow 60 days processing time. Most loans are processed for 2 semesters; half will pay into your account for fall and the other half will pay in for spring. If you authorized electronic funds transfer (EFT) on your Master Promissory Note, then the funds will be electronically transferred to your account. If you did not or your bank does not participate in the EFT program, then a co-payable check will be mailed from your lender to the school. The Office of Student Accounts will notify you that your loan check has arrived and is waiting for your endorsement.

When will the funds pay into my University account?

Due to federal regulation, federal aid will be applied to your account 10 days prior to the start of classes. This includes the Pell Grant, SEOG, Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loan, and Federal Direct PLUS Loan. PHEAA will forward your state grant during the summer months. Alternative loans can be disbursed prior to the start of the term.

Is there an appeals process for special circumstances to have financial aid re-evaluated?

Financial aid is based on the previous year's income. For example, aid awarded for the 2013-14 academic year is based on family income from the calendar year 2012. If a family experiences a significant reduction of income during the academic year, their income for the current year can be substituted. The federal government allows the school to use professional judgment to make changes to the FAFSA.

The Office of Financial Aid will mail an Income Reduction Form in November; it must be completed and returned with supporting documentation, the parents' and student's 2012 Federal 1040 and W-2s. The Pitt-Greensburg Office of Financial Aid will NOT process any request without the accompanying 2012 Federal 1040 forms and W-2s.

Are there requirements to maintain eligibility for future financial aid?

The student must re-apply each year for financial aid. The federal government will e-mail information to all students who filed a FAFSA for the previous year describing the process to update the new FAFSA.

In order to continue receiving financial aid, a student must demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress. These standards apply to all of the following types of financial aid: Federal Pell Grant, Pennsylvania State Grant (PHEAA), Federal Direct Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct PLUS Loan, and some alternative loans. University scholarships have specific renewal criteria.

Federal and state agencies are not aware of your academic progress when they determine your eligibility for grants. An award letter from them only means that you are financially eligible; Pitt-Greensburg is required to determine if you are also academically eligible. If you do not meet the academic standards, you are not eligible to receive financial aid. You continue to be ineligible until you do meet these standards. The student should review his/her academic progress at the end of each term as it relates to financial aid.

After each term, an annual evaluation is made of your academic performance. If you are denied financial aid because you failed to make academic progress, you can complete summer classes to have the federal aid reinstated. The Office of Financial Aid will mail a letter to students detailing the options.

Important Contacts

Name/Website Phone    
Billing - Student Accounts 724-836-9908
Financial Aid 724-836-9881
Student Housing & Meal Plans 724-836-7869
PHEAA Grants 800-692-7392
Federal Direct Loan Entrance Interviews  
FAFSA 800-433-3243
Duplicates of Federal Tax Forms 800-829-1040
Dept. of Education Pin Number  
Federal Perkins Loan Entrance  and Exit Interview  (School Code W2)  
Pitt-Greensburg Work Study Information  
Federal Direct Loan Exit Interview  

What happens if a student resigns during the semester?

If you resign from the University during the term, you must contact the Office of Student Accounts. You may be entitled to a partial reduction of University charges. However by reducing the University charges, your eligibility for aid may change, and some financial aid may be reduced.

How much will I owe?

You will be billed for direct costs (or expenses) only. To estimate your bill, use the following worksheet. Refer to the enclosed flyer for estimated tuition, fees, room and board expenses and your award letter for your financial aid amounts. They are likely to increase and are usually announced in mid-July.







  Pell Grant                                                                                                                              
  PHEAA Grant  
  ACG Grant  
  SMART Grant  
  FSEOG Grant  
  Tuition Reimbursement  
  University Scholarship  
  Other Scholarships  
  Veteran's Benefits  
  Vocational Rehabilitation           
  Perkins Loan  
  Federal Direct Loan  



Subtract the total amount of aid from the total amount of expenses to determine your estimated cost.

  Total Expenses $                                                                               
  - Total Aid $
  = Estimated Amount Owed $