COVID-19 response: While the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg remains closed to the public, the campus is in operation for the 2020-2021 academic year. Learn how Pitt-Greensburg is building a healthy and resilient community. Campus Operational Posture:
Guarded Risk

Financing Study Abroad

Regardless of where you plan on studying abroad, for how long, or on which type of program, you need to consider the finances of the choices you make.  While many of the available programs are comparable to the cost of staying on campus, it is important to budget for other costs such as visas, passports, airfare, and additional spending money. 

Study abroad expenses are unique to the specific program you choose.  While researching your options, it is important to compare the financial differences among programs.  Below you will find a link to a tool for program comparisons and understanding total costs.  Each study abroad program has information on the total fees, inclusions, and exclusions.  Enter these costs in the appropriate sections of the comparison tool, and do not hesitate to talk with your study abroad advisor if you have any questions.

Pitt Study Abroad Budgeting Tool

     Financial Aid
In most cases, if you are studying abroad on a Panther Program, Exchange, or Pitt-Recognized Program you will be able to use your financial aid from the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg towards the program fees.  Given that each student’s financial aid package and situation are different, you will be directed to meet with the Office of Financial Aid as part of the study abroad process when planning for your time abroad.

     Tuition Remission and Benefit
If you receive tuition remission or tuition benefit through your parent or guardian, you may be eligible to use this remission or benefit towards the cost of your study abroad program.  Tuition remission and tuition benefit can only be applied to Panther Programs and Exchanges and will cover only the tuition portion of any program fee. 

     Scholarships and Grants
In many instances, additional funding is necessary to make a study abroad experience affordable and realistic to our students.  Below is a comprehensive, but not all-inclusive, list of additional funding.   Each scholarship and/or grant has their own specific application, eligibility requirements, amounts awarded, due dates, etc.

Pitt Greensburg Scholarships & Grants

  • Carl F. Poke Endowed Fund for Student Travel

Established by Carl F. Poke, professor of political science at Pitt-Greensburg, this endowment supports international education travel and living stipends for full-time sophomores or juniors. 

  • Commercial National Bank of PA Student Travel

Established with a gift from Commercial National Bank, this endowment supports deserving University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg students pursuing travel-study assignments. 

  • Guy Rossetti International Study Endowment Fund

Established by friends, family, students, and colleagues in memory of Dr. Guy Rossetti, former Vice President of Academic Affairs at Pitt-Greensburg. This award is used to assist financially needy students who wish to study abroad. 

Click here to apply for the Poke, Commercial National Bank of PA, and Rossetti funds. Fill out one application to be considered for three scholarships! Please contact the Study Abroad Office or the Office of Financial Aid if you have questions. 

  • Spanish Club Scholarship

Established by the Spanish Club here at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg.  The club offers a $500 study abroad scholarship to members who are participating on a program in a Spanish-speaking country.  Recipient must be a member who has actively been participating and working in the Spanish club for a minimum of one year.  Please contact the club for information on how to apply.

  • SGA Truex Study Abroad Scholarship

The Student Government Association Martha Truex Study Abroad Scholarship was established by Rick Fogle, the dean of student services at Pitt-Greensburg, and his wife, Amy. The purpose of this endowment is to support participation in the University’s Study Abroad program for one or more students.  Please contact SGA on how to apply for this scholarship.

The Vira I. Heinz Program for Women in Global Leadership offers a scholarship of at least $5,000 for a summer international experience as well as structured leadership development retreats and a Community Engagement Experience to women of sophomore and junior status with no previous international experience, and a minimum GPA of 3.00.  Contact Dr. Pilar Herr, Coordinator for the VIH Program, for more information.

There are a variety of other scholarships available on the Pitt Study Abroad website, each varying on eligibility requirements.

External Scholarships and Financial Resources

Boren Scholarships allow U.S. undergraduate students study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interest but underrepresented in study abroad.  Students studying abroad in Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are not eligible to apply. 

The Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Project offers scholarships to U.S. undergraduate degree-seeking students studying abroad in Japan. Undergraduate students majoring in any field are eligible to apply and Japanese language study is not a prerequisite.  Fall, spring, and academic year programs.

Open to U.S. degree-seeking students studying abroad at a university in New Zealand.  Education New Zealand Study Abroad Travel Awards (ENZTA) is offering $2,000 USD to help students fund their flight to-and-from New Zealand. 

Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.

The FEA is committed to increasing the opportunities for dedicated American students to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs by reducing financial restrictions through the provision of grants and scholarships. Preference is given to students participating in programs that include studying the language of the host country (if not English) and/or a sustainable service-learning or volunteering component, programs in non-traditional destinations, and applicants who demonstrate financial need.

FundMyTravel is an online crowdfunding platform that allows you to create a customizable campaign highlighting your destination, program type, and reasons for wanting to study abroad for the purposes of fundraising.

The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.

This scholarship is awarded to a deserving LGBTQI student who aims to participate in a high-quality, rigorous education abroad program.

Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants are designed to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields by studying abroad.  Each year, fifty $1,000 grants are awarded each year.  Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher are strongly encouraged to apply.  The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg has an active chapter of Phi Kappa Phi and, therefore, students may apply for the study abroad grant.  Students do not have to be a part of the society to apply.

  • Third-Party Affiliate Scholarships

Students studying abroad on approved third-party affilate programs are encouraged to reach out to their specific provider about scholarships and travel grant awards.  Check out the specific provider website for additional informaiton. 

The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg and Pitt Study Abroad do not endorse any specific company, directory, scholarship, or grant.  Those listed on this site are posted as additional resources for our students seeking additional funding for study abroad.  Both the University and Pitt Study Abroad do not maintain or take responsibility for any of the information listed on any of the sites above.